What makes women to choose Laparoscopic Surgery to remove uterus
The female reproductive organs namely the uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes, ovaries, and vagina play varied roles throughout a woman's reproductive life. At various ages, the above organs, especially the uterus, can cause various problems. These include but are not limited to, tumors such as fibroids and adenomyosis which are predominantly non-cancerous to cancer of the various parts causing bleeding disturbances, menstrual pains, and positional displacement, for which doctors may advise removing the uterus, provided the childbearing function is completed.
Nowadays, surgeons generally prefer laparoscopic surgery to remove uterus, which is known as a Laparoscopic hysterectomy.
Laparoscopic hysterectomy is essentially a minimally invasive procedure used to remove the uterus. The patient is given general anesthesia. A small belly button incision is made which is only 1cm long, and the laparoscope(camera) is then put through it. The surgeon can see the whole interior of the abdomen with this. Based on the surgery, 2 or 3 other 5 mm incisions are made through which other instruments are introduced. The uterus is removed vaginally after surgery and the vagina is sutured laparoscopically. The procedure itself lasts roughly one to two hours. The skin incisions are sutured with absorbable sutures.
Advantages associated with a laparoscopic hysterectomy operation
- Less discomfort following surgery
- Minimal blood loss
- Cosmetically better because only a few minor incisions are made
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker return to regular daily activities
- Lower possibility of infection
Taking care of yourself after the surgery:
- Stay Active: As soon as you feel fine, start your daily routine. Patients are encouraged to be mobile and start eating as early as 6 hours post-surgery.
- Bleeding: For a few days, you can have minor vaginal bleeding
- Take a bath: This is encouraged the next day of surgery.
- Stitches: Two weeks following the procedure, the stitches will begin to disintegrate. You must then rinse it off with warm water and wipe it dry.
- Diet: A normal diet in encouraged with only restriction on spice and oil levels to avoid gastritic issues. A high protein diet is advised to aid faster healing. Increased liquid intake is recommended to avoid dehydration. Additionally, if you are having constipation, escalate intake of fiber in your diet.
- Medication: After your laparoscopic hysterectomy, you must take your medications according to the doctor's instructions. You must adhere to the recommended dosage schedules for the drugs. Please see a doctor if you have any additional symptoms.
- Driving: Following a laparoscopic hysterectomy operation, you can resume a four wheeler driving in 2 weeks and a two wheeler after 6 weeks.
Those who want to opt for Laparoscopic surgery to remove uterus can contact an appointment with World of Urology in Bangalore. The group consists of experienced uro-gynaecologists, laparoscopic and robotic surgeons who are committed to taking care of the patients competently. Our team offers quick and effective diagnosis and treatment of a variety of urological and gynaecological issues, catering to the needs of each patient.